University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Department of Information Systems
United States of America
The Department of Information Systems is part of The College of Engineering and Information Technology (COEIT) at UMBC. We currently offer a variety of degrees and certificates for undergraduate and graduate students, including B.A. in business technology administration, B.S. in information systems, B.S./M.S., M.S. in information systems (also online), M.S. in human-centered computing, Ph.D. in information systems, and Ph.D. in human-centered computing. Through these offerings, our students study the design, implementation, and evaluation of information technologies.
Our Vision is to expand our role as global leaders at the intersection of information, technology, and people, by promoting inclusive student-centered teaching, reimagining life-long learning, advancing innovative interdisciplinary research, and championing civic engagement.
The mission of UMBC’s Department of Information Systems is to:
• Broaden participation and empower student learning through teaching and mentorship for the development of real world skills in the design and implementation of information technologies.
• Advance fundamental, technical and applied research to support both developers and users of information systems.
• Encourage continuous learning and growth of our UMBC community by fostering innovation and collaboration to build a diverse and modern professional workforce which can adapt to a dynamic environment.
• Promote social justice through civically engaged research, teaching and service.
• Create a positive impact on our local community and the global society.
• Continuously evolve and communicate our unique identity by advancing innovation, inclusion, and interdisciplinary collaboration.